Me Made May 2020 with Aurifil Forty3
As #MeMadeMay comes to a close this year, I wanted to take a look at my most recent and favorite makes using Aurifil Forty3. As an Aurifil Artisan, they provide me with an amazing selection of threads to use in my projects. I’ve come to love Forty3, a 40 wt 3-ply thread that works great in a high-speed machine like my Janome HD9. It has extra strength compared to a standard cotton thread, and it’s my go-to for garment making.
I know, I know, I can hear you say, you’re not supposed to use cotton thread for garments! But why not? This stuff is strong! I prefer to use all-natural fibers when possible. Fabrics like polyester are made from plastics and they release microplastics into the water whenever they are washed. Cotton and other natural fibers will eventually degrade over time, but you know what, that’s ok. By then it will be time for a wardrobe refresh anyways, I’m sure. I’ve made everything from bags to jeans with Forty3 and Aurifil 40 wt, and I’ve never had any problems.
I made my new favorite pair of jeans this month using some great Pacific Blue stretch denim that I got from a local DC area shop, Stitch, during their anniversary sale. I used some Rifle Paper Co Meadow Lawn for the pockets and drew inspiration from the floral pattern for some fun topstitching on my back pockets.
I’ve already purchased some more stretch denim for my next pair of jeans. I just have to find the time to make them now!
I made two shirts this month in anticipation of some summer weather. The first one is a fun cactus print from Sevenberry by Robert Kaufman. I bought this fabric back in 2017, and finally got around to using it! I tried the Merchant and Mills All State pattern. The result is a boxy casual shirt with a lot of fun styling details -- split square hem, self facings, and a convertible collar. I don’t love the style and might suggest sizing down if you plan on making it. I also needed to add 1” of length to the bodice.
I made a shirt to match my Rifle Paper Meadow jeans using my trusty Fairfield pattern. I have modified this classic button-up pattern in the past, mainly increasing the neck size and changing the pleats in back to the side. Since I’ve made many versions of this shirt, it came together quickly. The short sleeve version doesn’t have cuffs or sleeve plackets so that speeds up the assembly considerably! I used Cotton and Steel Lagoon Lawn for contrast on the undercollar, inside collar band, and inside yoke. I used a mix of white cotton lawn and white muslin instead of fusible interfacings and finished everything with some pearl snaps.
I technically finished this just before May began, but this is one of my favorite makes ever. I wrote about the making of this jacket in detail, but suffice it to say that it’s getting plenty of wear when the early summer temperatures are cool enough in the morning or late evening. It’s Kokka cotton and a Burda Style pattern.